Grammy-winning performer Ne-Yo will be sitting at the judges table on the new NBC dance competition show World of Dance, debuting May 30th at 10/9c, and it’s no surprise. The singer, dancer, actor, producer, and all-around talent has made his name in show business in numerous avenues, thanks to his focus and drive.
Here, we’ve rounded up the best of Ne-Yo’s wisdom to inspire you to stay on your hustle.
On staying focused:
- “Fear is a healthy part of success.”
- “If you want to be successful, you have to be the best person doing it. And in order to be the best person doing it, you have to get your work ethic right and keep going.”
- “If you believe in yourself, it doesn’t matter what others might be telling you is impossible. It’s all up to you!”
On being unique:
- “For those people who want to keep following trends, you do that and when the trend goes away so will you.”
- “I don’t want to call myself a perfectionist because perfection is imperfection.”
- “I want to write for people that are trying to do some kind of quality music. What I mean by quality music is not so much the trend, what is hot right now. I don’t write trendy, I write what feels good and something that feels good will never get old. Timeless music is what I try to shoot for.”
On creating good music:
- “That is the difference between a good song and a bad song lyrically – if you can listen to it and put yourself in that place, or see that person in that place, normally it is a pretty good song.”
- “What I definitely learnt from Michael Jackson is that simple is almost always better. As a songwriter, as an artist period.”
- “An idea that will translate really well musically should work visually. I try to write music that you can feel if you were to close your eyes you can see what I am talking about.”
To see Ne-Yo in action at the judge’s table, tune into NBC’s World of Dance May 30th at 10/9 central and watch the world’s best dancers battle it out for a whopping $1 million prize. Don’t miss exclusive interviews, performances, and more from the definitive source for all things NBC World of Dance.