You might know NXT LVL from the premiere episode of NBC’s World of Dance, where the group introduced their impressive clogging skills to the world. These all-stars are the best of the clogging world, with members who have won hundreds of Solo Grand Championship titles and thousands of trophies combined. We caught up with NXT LVL (made of Mike Curtis, Brad Berry, Harrison Barnes, Brian Staggs, Ethan Stewart, Drake Elkin, Conner Trost, Caden Maynes, and Russell Eldridge) to find out what it was like to compete and what they’re up to now.
Style: Clogging: 9 members
From: Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
WOD: What was the best part of competing in World of Dance?
NL: Being in that room and being around the absolute best dancers in the world was the best part for us! It was literally the best of the best in every genre of dance, and each person there had such respect for every other dancer and dance style in that room. It was amazing!
WOD: Who’s your favorite judge, and why?
NL: Derek Hough was definitely our favorite judge. He actually mentioned a couple of our tricks that we pulled off and said how much he loved them. He was completely engaged in what we were doing and had a huge amount of respect for a dance form he may have never seen before! Thanks, Derek!
WOD: What do you love most about dance?
NL: We love the fact that dancers love each other so much—no matter where you’re from, what style of dance you do, what race or color you may be, even if you’re male or female. None of those details matter because deep down we are all dancers, and the love runs deep for our dance forms and each other! We’ve never seen that type of LOVE in any other situation so far, and we just can’t get enough of that atmosphere!
WOD: Why do you think the world needs dance?
NL: As we said before, there is no racism, no real anger, no bullying, or any other bad things that go along with it! Dancers simply LOVE each other. If the entire world could be that way, how happy would we all be? Dancing just seems to make everyone happy, so what could be bad about that?
WOD: What 5 songs are you obsessed with right now/why?
1) “24K Magic” by Bruno Mars
It’s the new opener to our show!
2) “Where Is The Love?” by The Black Eyed Peas
It’ll never get old!
3) “Want To Want Me” by Jason Derulo
4) “Billie Jean” by Michael Jackson
5) “Can’t Stop The Feeling” by Justin Timberlake
WOD: Anything else you want to add?
NL: We had a blast being a part of this show. We hope to build on what we started in Season 2 next year—we have way too much the world needs to see! And come see us at our own show here in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Get all the details here.
To keep up with the guys, follow them on Facebook and Instagram @allthatclogging.
- Check Out Episode Recaps and Performances
- Meet the Competitors of World of Dance
- Find Out Everything You Need to Know About World of Dance
- Q&A with Ronnie Abaldonado of Super Cr3w from World of Dance
- Find Out the 5 Reasons Jennifer Lopez Says You Should Watch World of Dance
- Meet the World of Dance judges: Ne-Yo
- Meet the World of Dance Host: Jenna Dewan Tatum
- Meet the World of Dance judges: Jennifer Lopez
- Meet the World of Dance judges: Derek Hough