You probably fell in love with Keone and Mari when they made their debut in episode 1 of NBC’s World of Dance. It’s no surprise they made it through the qualifiers; the dancing duo/married couple are known for their unique choreography, chemistry, and all around good vibes. (Check out their YouTube channel to see what we’re talking about.)
We love the diverse choreography—and music choice—in their videos, so we wanted to know a little more about the music that moves them.
The Keone and Mari Playlist
We asked Keone and Mari to share their 5 favorite tracks and tell us why they love them. From hip-hop to soul, here’s what they said.
1) “Love” by Kendrick Lamar ft. Zacari
His whole album is incredible, but I think this one just sits at home with me. He wrote the song for his fiancé, so I think we have something in common there haha.
2) “Da Art of Storytellin’ pt. 5” by John Givez
Another album that I’m just obsessed with and can still play over and over. Not many people know about it, but he’s also an SD native!
3) “Coming Home” by Leon Bridges
I’m a big fan of older music, and this man just made new music that feels that way. Feeds my soul!
4) “I Need It” by Johnny Balik
I actually just choreographed to this song, and a good test for how much I really love the song is if I still love it even after I choreograph to it (since in the creative process you listen to it a million times over).
5) “Tell Him” by Lauryn Hill
It’s so hard to narrow this down to 5, but I’m gonna give a nod to one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums.
1) “Redbone” by Childish Gambino
I still can’t stop listening to because it’s not only hauntingly gorgeous but humbles me and speaks to the social climate in our country. It feels like an anthem to me that will always bring me to this time and challenge me to be a more aware person.
2) “Elementary Trill” by John Gives
This song but really just the whole album Soul Rebel. I kind of stopped listening to hip-hop for awhile, but when I heard this album I fell back in love with it. I wish I could give him a Grammy because it’s so well put together on every level.
3) “Favourite Worry” by The Milk
I LOVE their music. Their sound and that lead vocal just makes my little music heart melt.
4)“Drown” by Chance the Rapper ft. Kirk Franklin
It’s the second part of the song “Finish Line” and feels like a gospel/worship song. When I listen to it, I leave feeling uplifted and wanting to get off my butt and do good things.
5) “Koffi Anan” by Yemi Alade
It makes me want to DANCE. I’ve been listening to more reggae/afro-pop music lately, and it always, always, always puts me in a good mood and makes me want to dance.
TO KEEP UP WITH KEONE AND MARI, FOLLOW THEM ON INSTAGRAM@keonemadrid / @_marimadrid AND CHECK OUT THEIR YOUTUBE CHANNEL.
- Check Out Episode Recaps and Performances
- Meet the Competitors of World of Dance
- Find Out Everything You Need to Know About World of Dance
- Q&A with Ronnie Abaldonado of Super Cr3w from World of Dance
- Find Out the 5 Reasons Jennifer Lopez Says You Should Watch World of Dance
- Meet the World of Dance judges: Ne-Yo
- Meet the World of Dance Host: Jenna Dewan Tatum
- Meet the World of Dance judges: Jennifer Lopez
- Meet the World of Dance judges: Derek Hough